Friday 18 November 2016

Heron Lunch Time

This is one of many amazing blog posts from Ruth our fabulous Ranger Volunteer. You can find many more posts on her blog at  https://ruthlawt.wordpress.com/ 

A wonderful sight at RSPB Sandwell Valley this morning – a heron trying to eat a rat but it wouldn’t fit. Yep. Gruesome. Fabulous.
I was walking along the raised bank between the river and the lake and I spotted the heron on the river bank. It was behaving really strangely, dipping its head in the water then raising its head high as if it were eating something but it was so repetitive I couldn’t imagine what it could be eating.
It didn’t fly off when I walked a little nearer along the bank. My camera gave me a close up…
I realised that the heron was trying to change the position of the rat – perhaps it was worried that the rat was still alive and would escape so it was VERY careful. Eventually it was successful.
and once the rat was swallowed, the heron looked very smug.
By this time two other birdwatchers were following the story with me, but the heron was unfazed by our attention – it was too busy digesting! It took it a minute or two to fly off – weight adjustment I expect
The heron / rat lunch documentary was only one part of a lovely ranger session this morning. There was so much to see and enjoy – as always. I arrived a bit wobbly emotionally but by the time I left I had had a little weep, laughed aloud, gasped with amazement and ooh’ed and aah’ed a lot. Walking round RSPB Sandwell Valley is so much cheaper than the NHS

Ruth

This blog is one in a series we are running about the fabulous volunteers that keep RSPB Sandwell Valley alive and thriving. We want to show off the amazing mix of people who come here from all walks of life helping save nature and inspiring others about wildlife on our reserve, and we want to encourage you to get involved too. 
Whether it's getting your hands dirty, showing a little one their first frog, or being that friendly face in our new visitor centre there's something you can have a go at.  Visit rspb.org.uk/volunteering or contact Lucy hodson: lucy.hodson@rspb.org.uk, 0121 357 7395.

No comments:

Post a Comment